ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] best/most effecient way to backup a CIFS Share

2014-03-16 23:39:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] best/most effecient way to backup a CIFS Share
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 03:35:57 +0000
What actual hardware contains the shares?  If by chance it is a real Netapp (or
IBM N-series), you can use snapdiff, which is the best possible solution.

If it's some other brand of NAS, you are stuck.  And yes, it's dirt slow.  I've
done this at many customers, and CIFS is just a very slow protocol, dunno why.

One thing that will help, add to the dsm.opt:
resourceutilization 10

That way the client will start 4 pairs of sessions concurrently (each pair is 1
producer and 1 consumer thread, 4 concurrent pairs is the most you can get).  I
usually find it works much better running parallel.   (It appears not to be a
problem of how much data is being sent across the network, but a problem of
traversing the directory trees via CIFS being very, very slow.)

If there are a zillion directory entries on these shares, and if the client you
are using is 32 bit or only has 4-8G of RAM, try adding also
MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP DISKCACHEMETHOD

That lets the client write the huge active file lists to temp workspace instead
of keeping it in memory (and you may have to do that anyway when you go to
resourceutilization 10 or the scheduler is likely to crash on a 34bit machine).
 You would think it wouldn't help, but sometimes it does.

This suggestion isn't about speed but manageability:
Take a look at setting up these schedulers using a proxy name instead of their
own hostnames, and do GRANT PROXYNODE, so that all the filespaces are backed up
to a common nodename that is different from the hostname (make it "NASSHARES",
for example).  That way when you go to do a restore, you'll always go to one
place to look for the filespaces.  What is likely to happen is that over time
some of the shares will grow, and you may need to redistribute them across 3
proxy machines instead of 2, then nobody can remember where to look when
starting a restore, etc.

I have a customer where we have 4 proxy machines to back up 15 EMC shares.  (We
don't dedicate machines as proxies - they have their own functions, but minimal
backup needs - one is a backup domain controller, one is a Vcenter server - in
other words, machines that don't have much else to do during backup hours.)
Each proxy machine has a scheduler service installed to run its own backup, and
each has a scheduler service that runs a proxied backup for the EMC shares
under the name NASHOME.    When the helpdesk needs to do a restore, they always
go to the same NASHOME machine to do the restore, and all the backups are
visible and restorable from there.  The TSM Admin can move, shift, add,
subtract shares to the proxy machine backups, without confusing everybody who
might need to do a restore.  Proxy function very useful for that.