ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] V6.2.5 to V6.3.4.200 Linux Server Upgrade

2013-10-30 14:38:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] V6.2.5 to V6.3.4.200 Linux Server Upgrade
From: "Colwell, William F." <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 18:36:16 +0000
Hi Zoltan,

when I went to 6.3.4.0 from 6.3.somewhere-lower, an index reorg started in all
my servers.
The reorg was of a big table involved in dedup.  It caused the active log
to fill up and all the servers crashed more than once.

I opened a pmr;  IBM was aware of the problem, see
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IC91190

To fix it, I had to max out the active log at 128GB, and stop all the other big
log generators like expiration, reclaim, migration, id dup.  Then the reorg had
enough log to finish.

When it was all done, there was a side benefit.  These indexes had gotten
really big.
After the reorg there was a lot of freespace in the db.  For example -

tsm: xxxx>q db f=d

                    Database Name: TSMDB1
                      Total Pages: 49,053,700
                     Usable Pages: 49,053,500