ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM for VMware

2013-04-28 04:04:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM for VMware
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:03:05 +0200
Is this the total of all backups running or just one sessions?

When I make incrementals I see about 25-30MB/s per session running towards
an IBM Protectier but it scales almost perfectly with every extra session I
start so I can reach speeds of 250-300MB/s without any problems (did not
test it with higher loads yet).

Small incrementals of many vm's are not fast when looking at the total MB/s
over the whole duration of the backups because there is a lot of
snapshotting, modifying vm's, etc work going on that brings the total MB/s
down a bit but the software itself is fast.
When using parallel streams I am able to get the performance I want without
any tuning client side (I just set the amount of par. sessions, that's all).

Of course there are many more factors that come into play such as the VM
metadata disk storage that you really should have, not having this causes
performance issues but all these things are in the TSM for VE documentation.