ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Equating current 3494 configuration to TS3500

2013-04-23 15:09:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Equating current 3494 configuration to TS3500
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:07:23 -0400
> How is TSM setup to use "virtual drives" - my current understanding is
that
> Drives are defined to a Library and Paths connect the Library and Drives
> a TSM server. The Library Manager (drive owner) server delegates the
drives
> it "owns/manages" to a TSM server that needs it.  So, how would a
virtual
> drive move from one TSM server to another if the TSM server that "owns"
it
> is down,  without redefining the paths/drives to another Library
Manager?
>  Are all drives defines/assigned to multiple Library Manager servers?

exactly!  I read about that feature and have no idea how it would work.
It doesn't make sense unless TSM is somehow aware of it, which it isn't.

> would be per virt lib.  So if you have 2 virt libs you would have 4
drives
> defined with control paths.  (at least that's my understanding, but then
> I've never
> done this)
>
> I've meant to ask - how does the library appear to the TSM server OS? Is
> it /dev/smc0,1,2,etc or /dev/IBMchanger0,1,2,etc?

For AIX you get SMC device files (smc1, smc2, etc).  They are discovered
by AIX after you've zoned up the drives and run cfgmgr.  I have 2 drives
with
control paths.  Each TSM server has 2 HBA's into the tape drive san.  Each
HBA is zoned to both control path drive. (Actually, each hba is zoned to
all
tape drives, which included the control path drives.)  So 2 drives times 2
hba's gives
4 SMC device files in AIX for one of our libraries.  One of those SMC
devices
gets used on the "define path" for the library.
On AIX the multi-path sftw is called Atape.  After running it's setup,
Atape
driver provides failover between the four SMC devices.  I assume IBM has
something similar for Linux.

It seems to me IBM has a redbook about setting up a 3584 to TSM . . .

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.