ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: TS3500/3584 managed by Linux host

2013-04-15 12:46:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: TS3500/3584 managed by Linux host
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 11:44:16 -0500
TSM controls the library via a second LUN on one or more of the tape
drives.  By default (or by the IBM CE at installation time), the first
drive in the library has the control path enabled, but you can enable
it on additional drives (I believe lin_tape should handle failover for
them).  On AIX, they would be discovered as smc* devices; a quick bit
of Googling suggests with lin_tape, they're /dev/IBMchanger* devices.
You define the library using the control path device.

On the network side, though, you'll likely want TCP port 80 and/or 443
open to the 3584 from somewhere to use the library's web interface, but
that's unlikely to be needed from your TSM server unless you use the
Java CLI from there to monitor or perform tasks on the library.

If you're using a TS3000 System Console to manage your library, that's
a whole other beast, which I've avoided so far.  Maybe someone else can
offer insight there, if you need to know.

I'll defer to someone actually using AME or TKLM for drive encryption
to speak to the networking requirements there.  I'd guess that for AME,
all communication is via the tape device, though.

=Dave

--
Hello World.                                David Bronder - Systems Architect
Segmentation Fault                                      ITS-EI, Univ. of Iowa