ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Multiple stanzas unusable: "/usr/bin/dsmc already running."

2012-12-12 10:33:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Multiple stanzas unusable: "/usr/bin/dsmc already running."
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:54:41 -0500
-----Ethan Günther wrote: -----

>for a client with large filespaces, we would like to split the backup
>up
>into several nodes in order to balance the load. On the basis of the
>TSM-client documentation we created several stanzas in the dsm.sys
>file
>with different servername entries. In the init-script several dsmc
>processes are started with the -servername option referring to those
>stanzas. Now everything works fine with a 6.2.0.0 client (all
>processes
>are started and are backing up as expected).
>
>On a very similar box with client version 6.2.4.4 something goes
>wrong:
>Some dsmc processes are started successfully, some are not, the
>numbers
>vary. So there could be some runtime condition. The error message
>(printed on stdout) is: "/usr/bin/dsmc already running."
>
>Has anybody observed this issue and knows about a solution?

Are you using the style of script that does the following?

* Store the process ID in a specific file after a successful
  start.
* Delete the ID file after stopping dsmc.
* Refuse a request to start dsmc if the ID file exists and
  contains the ID of a running dsmc process.

If so, I suspect that the scripts are trying to use the same
ID file for dmsc processes associated with different stanzas.

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital