ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Sources of discrepancy between FILE volume size on disk and reported space?

2012-01-03 15:07:02
Subject: [ADSM-L] Sources of discrepancy between FILE volume size on disk and reported space?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 14:58:52 -0500
So, I've got a passel of document-imaging data whose primary storage is
on FILE.  As you might imagine, it's amazingly static, and as a
consequence gets little attention.  But it just got some, and I'm
confused by it.

I recently set about moving my TSM infrastructure from the Old Storage
(emc cx320) to the New Storage (emc VNX).   I built new volume groups
and filesystems, updated my management class to only write to the new
filesystems, and started a long series of MOVE DATA macros.

As I watched these go by, I was interested by the fact that the move
processes were reporting less than 5G moved, sometimes substantially.  I
figured I'd neglected to set reclaim thresholds on this data, d'oh.   So
I was getting an opportunity to reclaim the whole dang infrastructure.
how nice!  I started counting space savings before it was hatched.

So now the move is done, and I've got my 4.mumble TB of data all moved
to brand new 5G volumes, none of which existed a month ago, all of which
were populated by

MOVE DATA [foo] reconst=yes

and none of which have any reclaimable space

tsm: VI>select pct_utilized,pct_reclaim,count(*) from volumes where
devclass_name='MED        FILE' group by pct_utilized,pct_reclaim

PCT_UTILIZED     PCT_RECLAIM      Unnamed[3]
------------     -----------     -----------
         6.1             0.0               1
       100.0             0.0             848

but the ESTCAP of these volumes is pretty far off 5G.  Here's a
histogram-like list of them, counted by GB of ESTCAP.

      1        1.3
      1        1.5
      2        1.6
      4        1.7
      8        1.8
     16        1.9
     20        2.0
     39        2.1
     37        2.2
     44        2.3
     35        2.4
     53        2.5
     51        2.6
     52        2.7
     40        2.8
     60        2.9
     56        3.0
     44        3.1
     46        3.2
     61        3.3
    152        3.4
     14        3.5
      6        3.6
      3        3.7
      1        3.9
      2        4.0
      1        5.0

So, what am I missing? I feel like a bozo, but I can't come up with a
reason a full 5G volume would have an ESTCAP of 1.3G with no reclaimable
space.

- Allen S. Rout