ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] delete filespace and LOGMODE NORMAL

2011-11-21 09:50:35
Subject: [ADSM-L] delete filespace and LOGMODE NORMAL
From: Sascha Askani <sascha.askani AT GOOGLEMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:20:11 +0100
Hi List,

Again, I'd like to tap into your (almost) infinite wisdom regarding TSM ;)

I have a 5.5.4.1 / Solaris server running here with a node that has
approx. 36 Million objects stored. I already exported this node to a
newer (in terms of Hardware and TSM version) server and switched backups.

Now I want to get rid of the filespace on the old server. Since deleting
36 million objects will fill up the recovery log pretty fast and often,
I thought setting the logmode to "normal" would result in a nice cleanup
without triggering the DBBACKUPtrigger every n minutes.

So I set the logmode to normal but this didn't keep the log from filling
up until 78% where I cancelled the DELETE FILESPACE. Interestingly, the
log didn't go back to 0% utilization as I would have expected it. So I
did a manual DBBACKUP which zeroed the log.

I also opened a PMR with IBM, my contact told me that cancelling the
DELETE FILESPACE, backing up the DB and resuming the DELETE FILESPACE
was the correct way to do it. So I set the logmode back to ROLLFORWARD
and defined the Trigger to 32 incremental backups; this way I didn't
have to have an eye on the server while deleting the filespace.

So (finally) my question is: Does "Logmode Normal" not prevent a fill-up
of the log in this case? Sounds like a bug to me somehow. And why did
the log not revert back to zero when I cancelled the DELETE?

Sorry for the long mail and thanks in advance!

Sascha