ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] delete filespace and LOGMODE NORMAL

2011-11-22 06:43:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] delete filespace and LOGMODE NORMAL
From: "Loon, EJ van - SPLXO" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:27:24 +0100
Hi Sascha!
Indeed this sounds strange. I can imagine that the delete filespace pins
the log, which causes the log to grow, but as soon as you cancel the
delete filespace, the pinning should be gone and thus the log
utilization should be back to 0.
This only proves my point: I have a PMR open for months about log
utilization. Our log continues to grow and triggers a backup several
times a night. We switched to normal mode, just to see what happened,
but this also causes the log to grow. Less (up to 60/70%) but still, the
log grows more than expected. When running in normal mode, the log only
contains uncommitted transaction. Typically large SQL Server client
backups tend to pin the log for a long time, but I also saw that the log
space isn't returned after a pinning transaction is completed.
Development explained that the recovery log uses a sort of a round robin
method and that this is the reason why space isn't returned straight
away.
The fact that a canceled delete filespace doesn't free the log only
proves to me that something is definitely broken/not working correctly
in TSM, but I can't seem convince development...
Kind regards,
Eric van Loon