ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] SNAPDIFF incrementals appear to be fulls

2010-07-15 18:53:26
Subject: [ADSM-L] SNAPDIFF incrementals appear to be fulls
From: "Sheppard, Sam" <SSheppard AT SDDPC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:53:33 -0700
After jumping through various hoops, I have finally gotten the SNAPDIFF feature
of TSM 6.1 to work. We have a windows client running 6.2.0.1 backing up a CIFS
share to TSM AIX server running 6.1.3.4.  The first backup runs very fast,
backing up just over 1M objects, but backs up 366GB of a volume that windows
shows as having a total capacity of 400GB with only 239GB used. The backup is
running from the scheduler specifying INCREMENTAL and the -SNAPDIFF option,
with DIFFSNAPSHOT defaulted (to CREATE).

The next backup, which should be an incremental backs up 246GB and reports
Objects Inspected 2,648, Objects Backed Up 763,759.  The volume we are testing
with has no activity going on so I would have expected no files should have
been backed up.  Also, on this backup there were 580 objects failed (file not
found error) which did backup on the first backup and still exist.  I found a
caveat in a technical support brief that SNAPDIFF doesn't support Unicode
outside of 7-bit ASCII and that ONTAP UTF8 enabled volumes will not return the
filename in UTF8, but I see nothing in the suspect filenames to make me think
that is the problem other than they all have embedded blanks somewhere.

So it appears that about 75% of the files are being backed up even though there
have been no changes and some not insignificant number of files are not backed
up after the initial full backup.  Anyone out there using this facility and if
so have you seen these problems?

Thanks
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.