ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] multiple schedulers

2010-07-16 21:15:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] multiple schedulers
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:14:55 +1200
Hi Rick

As I understand it,  when in polling mode, the first scheduler to come
up grabs port1500, the next one finds that in use and grabs 1501, the
one after that will try 1502 and so on.

This is one of the better reasons to give up active control, use polling
and let the machine sort itself out.  The other reason to use polling is
that its is less sensitive to firewall rules -  if the client can see
the server it can back up - whereas for prompted the firewall has to let
the server see the client as well.

The other thing to consider is whether you really need to run multiple
schedulers at all.  Now that proxy nodes are here, you could have one
scheduler and two schedules.  One schedule runs the local disk backup.
The other runs a script to check whether the shared disk is mounted on
this machine, then if it is starts dsmc with asnode and the shared
options file to backup the shared disk.  Its less complex to set up, but
requires some scripting, and of course you are limited to one active
schedule per scheduler at any one time.

I'm starting to think that the detect-and-backup approach is better for
complex situations, like 4 way SQL Server clusters with multiple
instances for example. It might be nice if some of this ability were
built into the BA and SQL Server clients rather than each of us having
to re-invent the wheel.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin
Paraparaumu New Zealand.

Robert Clark wrote:
Some of the clustering solutions alias an IP address that travels with the
resource group. The scheduler can be configured to listen on this specific
address instead of "*".

The easiest way to check is to look at the output from "netstat -an | grep
-i list".

[RC]