ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Mixed media in 3494

2010-05-19 17:59:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Mixed media in 3494
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:58:27 -0500
Sheppard, Sam wrote:

> We are running TSM 6.1.3.4 on AIX with a 3494 library and 8 TS1120
> (E05) tape drives. I keep thinking there should be a way to do this,
> but I'm coming up dry.  We are about to implement NDMP for several
> large filesystems.  I was thinking it would be nice (and cheaper) to
> use the higher capacity JB tapes specifically for NDMP, since there
> will be a lot of large full backups.  We chose to originally go with JA
> tapes on the theory that we would end up with less wasted space.  My
> problem is I can't think of a way to segregate the larger tapes from
> the smaller ones to enable their use only for NDMP.  The only thing I
> can think of so far is a new DEVCLASS that only specifies
> 3592-2,3592-2c and point the storage pool at that device class, but
> that still doesn't give me any way of getting the data to only the
> 3592JB tapes.
>
> Anyone have any ideas, or should I just bite the bullet and just let
> them mix.

We just let them mix.  I can think of two options to dedicate the JB
tapes to your NDMP backups, but both have drawbacks...

  1) Define a separate logical library in TSM, with different scratch
     and private categories, point your NAS DEVCLASS to this library,
     and check the JB tapes for NDMP in to this library.  This will
     require you to dedicate drives to NDMP all the time (unless you
     can rig up something with a TSM library manager to share physical
     drives between logical libraries; I haven't used the TSM library
     manager feature, so I don't know if such hackery is possible).

  2) Pre-define the JB tapes as volumes in the storage pool(s) you're
     using for NDMP.  (I haven't tried thatt for NAS device class, but
     I think it would let you.)  This won't work well if you use copy
     pool(s) and DRM, though.

It's certainly far easier to just keep both tape sizes in the same
scratch pool and let TSM sort it out...

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa