ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] distance between TSM client and server

2010-04-25 12:27:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] distance between TSM client and server
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:26:12 +0200
On 25 apr 2010, at 06:46, Mehdi Salehi wrote:

> Hi all,
> Some of our TSM clients send their backup data from their isolated storage
> network to TSM via LAN. In order to setup LAN-free backup, two switches (IBM
> B-type) that are about 200 meters apart should connect the two storage
> islands. SFPs are 8 Gb/s  shortwave ones. The problem is that I see no IBM
> part number indicating such a long FC cable. What is your suggestion?
> - Should I change ISL SFPs to longwave?

for 8 Gb/s you need long wave for any distance over 70m or 150m (150m ca be
achieved with OM3 cables only IIRC), if you step down to lower speeds, you can
do 200m on short wave OM3 cables.

> - Can I use 200-meter FC cables from HP?

you can use any brand of cable. Most companies use a local supplier. For this
sort of distances, most organizations prefer to use patch panels and 'fixed'
cables for the long distance.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post