ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Scheduler problem

2010-04-20 07:33:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Scheduler problem
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:30:34 -0400
Hello Grigori,

You are correct: both schedulers are attempting to use the same
TCPCLIENTPORT. This did not occur in 6.1 and earlier.

Interestingly enough, I just took a look at the client manual, and it does
indicate that if you use multiple schedulers, you must use the
TCPCLIENTPORT option to specify a unique port for each scheduler.
Technically speaking, though, if you allow TCPCLIENTPORT to default, it is
supposed to first try port 1501. If 1501 is used, then it is supposed to
try to find another unused port.

I am not sure what role the CAD plays in this issue. From the configuration
you provided earlier, it seems you use the CAD only for its web client
functionality (I do not see a scheduler service identified in the CAD
information). I was able to reproduce the scheduler issue using two TSM
backup-archive client schedulers (no CAD or TDP for SQL involved).

It would be a good idea for you to open a PMR so that we can explore your
particular configuration in more detail if in fact your use of the CAD is
playing an additional role in this issue (as I said, I was able to
reproduce similar symptoms without the CAD, but I'm not sure if that is the
full story since the CAD seems to play a role for you).

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2010-04-20
00:14:23:

> [image removed]
>
> Re: Scheduler problem
>
> Grigori Solonovitch
>
> to:
>
> ADSM-L
>
> 2010-04-20 02:09
>
> Sent by:
>
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
>
> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>
> Hello Andy,
> Thank you very much for information. I think this is a bug too, but
> I couldn't prove this. I can say similar setup was working fine for
> years before upgrade to 6.2.0. I think problem was caused by second
> scheduler, which was using the same port 1501 as the first one (no
> automatic switching to another port).
> By the way I have fixed problem already on the both servers by:
> 1) settiting TCPCLIENTPORT to 1502 in dsm.opt for TDP for SQL;
> 2) createting additional CAD service using dsm.opt for TDP for SQL.
> Note, problem was not resolved just by setting port to 1502. I think
> additional CAD is required as well, but I do not understatnd how it can
help.
> Do I need to report problem to IBM support?
> Kindest regards,
> Grigori

MSSQL_SMS-PRODSRV"'

*======================================================================*