ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Linux Client failing with ANS1999E error

2010-04-20 07:18:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Linux Client failing with ANS1999E error
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:16:33 -0400
On Apr 19, 2010, at 5:41 PM, James Choate wrote:

> I am looking for the longest fully qualified file name on the system.
>
> An error=6 might be indicating ENAMETOOLONG (The only errno that equals 6 in
> Linux).

Errno 6 is ENXIO.  FWIW, I've accumulated some notes on it over time...

ENXIO           6       No such device or address.
                        Typically, this means that a file representing a device
                        has been installed incorrectly, and the system can't
                        find the right kind of device driver for it.
                        Is expected if opening a FIFO for writing with the
                        O_NDELAY flag, thus indicating that no process yet has
                        the FIFO open for reading.
                        I/O on a special file refers to a subdevice that does
                        not exist, or beyond the limits of the device. It may
                        also occur when, for example, an illegal tape drive unit
                        number is selected or a disk pack is not loaded on a
                        drive.  Also seen when trying to open /dev/lmcp0 and the
                        /etc/lmcpd daemon is not running.
                        When the operation involves access to memory areas
                        (e.g., /dev/kmem) it may be that the address/offset
                        being used is out of range. (Interestingly, an lseek()
                        or lseek64() to a bogus address will not complain, but
                        the following read() which depends upon that seek will
                        fail.)

  Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs/