ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Restoring an server-image with BartPE

2010-04-19 11:31:14
Subject: [ADSM-L] Restoring an server-image with BartPE
From: Stephan Boldt <stephan.boldt+adsm-l AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:27:49 +0200
Hello everybody,

I tried restoring a windows 2008 R2 server image (c: partition) and
ran into a problem. Here's what I did (according to the field guide
"TSM Recovery Techniques using Win PE Environment"):

- Created Image Backup of c: partition with VSS (ESX vSphere 4.0 VM)
- Did daily incremental filesystem backups of the same host
- created a new VM with a disk larger than the source disk
- booted VM with BartPE CD (pressed F6 while starting and added VMware
LSI driver)
- created partition with diskpart (full disk)
- set it the active partition
- assigned drive letter c: to that partition
- mapped network drive where the tsm installation files are located (TSM 6.2)
- run dsmc-pe.cmd to set up the TSM Client environment
- set up the dsm.opt with server and client name
- restored the image with "dsm restore image \\backupmachineneame\c$
c: -asrmode=yes -noprompt -incremental -deletefiles"

The restore of the image completed without errors. The incremental
filesystem backups were also applied successfully. Next step in the
field guide is to restart the server with the restored OS. But
everything I see when rebooting is a blinking cursor in the upper left
corner.
Has anyone of you any idea what could be the cause? Does the image
restore also restore the bootsector? May that be the cause? Any Idea
how to solve that?

Thanks in advance for any hint!

kind regards,
Stephan