ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Running a report on what files will expire in the next sixty days

2010-04-13 11:45:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Running a report on what files will expire in the next sixty days
From: "John D. Schneider" <john.schneider AT COMPUTERCOACHINGCOMMUNITY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:37:01 -0700
Because of TSM's incremental backup scheme, there is no way to know what
files will expire, because their is no way to know what new versions of
files will be taking their place in the future.  For example, say there
is a file called yoda.txt.  If that yoda.txt file is backed up once and
is never changed, then the backup for it will never expire because the
backup of that file remains the "active" version of that file.  If,
however, yoda.txt is changed from time to time, and a backup runs every
day, then the older versions of the file become "inactive" versions of
the file.  Then the inactive versions will expire when they exceed
either the number of days or versions that you defined in the policy.

So, when I backup yoda.txt today, there is no way to know when this
version of yoda.txt is going to expire, unless I have some way to know
how many new versions are going to replace it in the future.

Can you tell us why you think it is necessary to predict what files will
be expired, or when?  Since new backup data will be coming in
continuously, is it really important to know?

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
The Computer Coaching Community, LLC
Office: (314) 635-5424 / Toll Free: (866) 796-9226
Cell: (314) 750-8721