ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Collocation Groups Reclamation and Restore

2010-03-16 09:59:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Collocation Groups Reclamation and Restore
From: Michael Green <mishagreen AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:58:34 +0200
--
Warm regards,
Michael Green

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Francisco Molero <fmolero AT yahoo DOT com>
wrote:

> 2.- When TSM restores files from these tapes. Does it restore all files in
> a sequential way ?. I mean TSM is reading the tape from the beginning and if
> it finds files to belong to this TSM Client from different directories it
> restores independently of the directory which this files belong  or TSM
> server prepares a list of file and it is looking one per one in the tape...
> or Which is the procedure ?

In terms of restore order TSM uses opportunistic approach. It doesn't tries
to restore in alphabetical order for example. The restore thread will read
all the relevant files from a particular tape regardless of their
alphabetical order or backup dates. Then move to next tape. The goal is to
minimize the amount of tape mounts.