ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 5.5 -> 6.2

2010-03-05 04:03:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 5.5 -> 6.2
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:02:50 +0100
On 5 mrt 2010, at 02:44, Xav Paice wrote:

> ----- "John D. Schneider" <john.schneider AT COMPUTERCOACHINGCOMMUNITY DOT
> COM> wrote:
>

>> This was very good news for us, too.  We have one library master that
>> serves 9 other TSM servers, plus 5 Lan-free agents.  The thought of
>> having to upgrade ALL of them on the same day was daunting indeed.
>> But
>> thankfully, we can do them in groups.   Because we have as many as 4
>> instances on one server, we will be forced by the upgrade
>> requirements
>> to upgrade all of those on the same day.  At least, I think that is
>> true.  When I upgraded a test server from 5.4 to 6.1 a couple weeks
>> ago,
>> I was told to uninstall 5.4 before installing 6.1, and that they
>> could
>> not exist on the same server.  Am I understanding this correctly?
>>

> The problem with upgrading from v5 to v6 is that you do indeed need to
> uninstall one before installing the other - not like from 5.4 to 5.5 at all.
> The upgrade process involves a database dump and import a bit like an
> unload/reload and unfortunately about as slow - the speed stated by IBM for
> the import is about 5GB/hour and from my experience that's about right from
> disk and from LTO-3 tape.
>
> The best way to upgrade in my opinion, unless your database is tiny, is to
> put the new version on a new bit of hardware, and use the 'export server'
> command to move config from the old to the new, then combine full backups to
> the new server and 'export node filed=all' to get the data across, finally
> deleting the nodes from the old server when you're comfortable with it.
> Regardless, it's a bunch of tape mounts and time, but at least it's a well
> controlled process and doesn't take down the TSM servers meantime.

huuh????, I know some of us have huge TSM database, but export/import for all
node data for such a server is highly unlikely to complete in our lifetime.

I'd say, either go for the downtime, or just build a new server (maybe export
server) and then just point your clients to the new server. You need bigger
faster hardware anyway for TSM 6.....

--

Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,

Remco Post