ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Reclamation for offsite storage pools

2010-01-27 09:33:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Reclamation for offsite storage pools
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:31:55 -0500
What level are you setting for reclamation.  I have found that in a catch-up
situation, it is best to set the reclamation level high (e.g. 99 or 98) and get
the easy (almost empty) tapes first, and then step the value down over time
until you get caught up to a level you want to be at.  This was with
collocation on for both primary and copy pools so your experiences may be
different.  But TSM spends time at the beginning of reclamation figuring out
which tapes and the best way to process them ( I believe it tries to minimize
tape mounts) so starting high makes that part of the process go faster.

David

>>> "Moyer, Joni M" <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM> 1/27/2010 8:53 AM >>>
Hello everyone,

For several years I had not been able to run reclamation on one of my tsm
servers due to the lack of physical tape drives to accomplish the task.  I am
in the process of trying to get caught up, but it seems that I just never do.
Most of my issue is with the copy storage pool volumes which are very
under-utilized.   It seems like reclamation, even if I start multiple
reclamation threads, is taking quite a long time.

Is there some other way for me to get the data onto new media without doing
reclamation?  Can I do a move data from 1 copy storage pool volume to the
another volume within the same copy storage pool?  I know that this would mean
bringing the tapes back from the vault, but it is just not progressing as I
would like with the reclamation processes.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I would like to get this back under
control.

Thank you in advance!

Joni Moyer
Storage Administrator III