ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Does migration migrate expired data on volumes?

2009-04-28 00:44:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] Does migration migrate expired data on volumes?
From: kdavey <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 00:35:39 -0400
You are absolutely correct on that statement.  Migration (for performance
reasons) does NOT reconstruct aggregated bitfiles.  Thus expired (or
reclaimable space) in the aggregate is not 'reclaimed' at the point of
migration.  One of the chief reasons for this, other than performance, was the
thought that data migrating typically from disk is being done so quickly after
the files were inserted into storage that the return on investment would be
very low.  That is, we would not find much space to reclaim given the effort
put out to search for it.

Keith Davey
TSM Level 2 Support
kjdavey AT us.ibm DOT com