ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] What are you using TSM and ????

2009-03-25 13:37:36
Subject: [ADSM-L] What are you using TSM and ????
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:34:11 -0700
About 4 years ago some people here decided to bring in Netbackup. No
good reason at the time but everyone involved is making it sound as if
TSM was the problem. In a meeting we had yesterday to discuss moving
everything to TSM they are now making it sound like they can't get rid
of it, no technical explanations of course. Some are arguing we should
move the other way or that most companies use more than one system and
so should we. Needless to say everyone in the room, besides me, just
loves netbackup.

I'd like to ask these questions to the group if you don't mind. Feel
free to add whatever you like if you think there is a better question I
should be asking

1.      What are you using in your infrastructure besides TSM?

2.      If you have more then one is it because TSM can't fit that
situation?

3.      Would you prefer to have one? Which one and why?

I also have a separate question for those with mainframes. I have
absolutely no knowledge when it comes to TSM and the mainframe and would
like someone to tell me how TSM and the mainframe integrate together.
Our mainframe has some sort of backup software, I assume integrated with
the operating system, so back things up. I was wondering if the
mainframe can back up to the TSM server or if you must run a TSM server
on the mainframe and back it up locally.

Thanks all,

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator