ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] What are you using TSM and ????

2009-03-25 13:53:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] What are you using TSM and ????
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:51:33 -0400
I'm responding only to the mainframe issue:

-TSM does not understand mainframe legacy filesystems (the legacy
filesystems contain the vast majority of mainframe files in most sites).

-Mainframe backup software does not understand UNIX or Windows filesystems.

So to backup mainframe legacy filesystems, you need mainframe backup
software.

However, it gets really confused because:

a)You can run a TSM server on the mainframe, to back up your Windows and
Unix servers..

b) There is a component of z/OS called OSS, or Open System Services
(actually I don't know what it's called these days, the name keeps changing)
, which uses a unix-style filesystem.  To back up individual files for that
filesystem ONLY, there is a TSM client.  So you can use your Windows or Unix
or mainframe TSM server to backup the mainframe unix-style filesystem.  But
not mainframe legacy filesystems.

c) Also, it's not uncommon to have the mainframe backup software sharing the
same tape library with open-systems TSM.  But they aren't sharing backup
duties.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Gill, Geoffrey L. <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT saic DOT
com