ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 4 spindles for db: best performing setup

2009-02-19 10:41:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 4 spindles for db: best performing setup
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:40:54 -0500
>> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:27:29 +0100, km <km AT GROGG DOT ORG> said:

> RAID5 will give you the maximum amount of IOPS for the DB with disk
> redundancy, though 4 disks is on the low side.

> TSM mirroring doesnt help performance when doing expiration or
> reclamation anyway which is what you want to optimize the DB for.

This debate has raged on and on over years.  IOPS vs. recoverability,
mirroring at TSM level, AIX level, hardware level..  There are well
established camps with their advocates and thought leaders.  Look
through the archives.  We re-debate the topic once or twice a year.

but the former things have passed away, and there is no more sea.

As has already been said here: we need to forget these things, and
start asking the DB2 folks how they accomplish performance and
stability goals.  We don't know what we're doing any more.  We need to
get used to it, and re-learn.

- Allen S. Rout
- Whiny.