ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Remote tape drives

2008-11-19 16:32:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Remote tape drives
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:16:42 -0500
Seems like a reasonable compromise would be to just write a script that
marks full copy vols as offsite, and leave them that way.  Once they go to
pending or empty, they'd be changed back to onsite.  I can live with the
occasional filling volume being reclaimed from copy vols instead of primary
vols.  I don't think it would happen much here.

The only extra management would be to remember to change offsite vols to
onsite when and if we have to recover something from them.  Not a biggie.

Thanks for your feedback - it's been helpful.

said:

> At 02:38 PM 11/17/2008, Wanda Prather wrote:
>> No reason I know of you can't have an auto script that does update vol *
>> wherestgpool=copypool access=offsite every day before you start your
>> reclaims.

> Seems like if I did this, all the output would have to go to newly
> allocated scratch tapes.

Right, so you'd need to set them back to local in time for the next
day's traffic.  That's why I said "Micromanage". :)

> No tapes in filling status would be used.
> I could only update the full volumes, I suppose, but are there cases
> where filling tapes can be reclaimed?

Yes.

- Allen S. Rout

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521