ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Remote tape drives

2008-11-17 16:23:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Remote tape drives
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:22:30 -0500
-----Paul Zarnowski wrote: -----

>Seems like if I did this, all the output would have to go to newly
>allocated scratch tapes.  No tapes in filling status would be used.
>I could only update the full volumes, I suppose, but are there cases
>where filling tapes can be reclaimed?

Yes. We occasionally see onsite filling volumes reclaimed. The mix
of tape contents that causes this is typically something like the
following: 51% of the tape occupied by files that have gone
inactive and then aged out of the TSM database, 29% occupied by
files still listed in the TSM database, and 20% available for
writing more files.