ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Can TSM locks file during backup ?

2008-06-17 11:15:31
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Can TSM locks file during backup ?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:12:45 -0400
On Jun 17, 2008, at 10:13 AM, David Rigaudiere wrote:

Hi *SMers,
I have a DBA clustomer who claims that dsmc locked files during
incremental backup, lock which prevent SQL Server to restart the
database en setting status to 'Suspect'.

Is TSM can locks file during full incremental backups ?
I never seen this before with "classic" backups.

David -

I concur - I've never seen the TSM client lock files for backup, nor
seen any documentation suggesting that it does.

I perceive that the DBA made the claim without providing you with any
evidence.  Have them provide you with evidence from any tool they used
to detect such a condition.  More to the point, the SQL Server error
log should have detailed info on why it flagged the database as
Suspect - which can have many causes.

The larger issue is why TSM physical backup should apparently be
running at the same time as the SQL Server.  That would constitute a
"fuzzy backup", which would probably not result in a consistent,
usable object if restored.  Generally speaking, to use physical (i.e.,
TSM B/A client) backup tools on a database, the database server needs
to be down.  If striving to keep SQL Server up during backups, the TDP
would be the way to go.

   Richard Sims