ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Can TSM locks file during backup ?

2008-06-17 12:55:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Can TSM locks file during backup ?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:54:12 -0700
TSM does not "lock" files per se; however, it does open the files to read
them during backup. It could be that SQL server requires exclusive access
to the file, so if TSM is currently backing it up, SQL server cannot
start.

This sounds like a potential candidate for OFS. You can use the
PRESNAPSHOTCMD and POSTSNAPSHOTCMD options to control shutdown and restart
of applications (such as SQL Server). In this case, I recommend using
5.4.2.0 or 5.5.0.6 (or the forthcoming 5.5.1 at the end of this month).
Note that in 5.5, you also have the option of using VSS as the snapshot
provider.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/17/2008
09:47:09 AM: