ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Win2k3 ASR restore problem

2008-05-01 10:05:22
Subject: [ADSM-L] Win2k3 ASR restore problem
From: Timothy Hughes <Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 10:03:45 -0400
hello all,

I have performed what seems to be a successful ASR restore of a Windows
2003 SP2 server. When the system reboots it comes to the login box,
however, everything seems to be in a default state. The login uses
Administrator with no password and does not have the option to log into
the domain. Also, as soon as you click login, a message appears that you
must activate Windows before you can continue. If I choose to activate
it closes the session and returns to the login box.

I am assuming that the system state did not restore properly for some
reason. I have checked the dsmsched.log from the machine I am restoring
and there have been successful backups of the system state on all dates
I have tried to restore. I tried the recovery five times with different
points in time going back a month all with the same result.

I checked the tsmasr.cmd file as to what is being restored. It all
appears right to me.

:NETWORK
dsmc restore \\NETSRV30\C$\ C:\ -asrmode=yes -pitdate=04/21/2008
-subdir=yes -preservepath=complete -replace=all -tapeprompt=no
-nodename=NETSRV30 -optfile=tsmasr.opt -quiet

dsmc restore systemstate -asrmode=yes -pitdate=04/21/2008
-nodename=NETSRV30 -computername=NETSRV30 -optfile=tsmasr.opt -quiet

dsmc restore systemservices -asrmode=yes -pitdate=04/21/2008
-nodename=NETSRV30 -computername=NETSRV30 -optfile=tsmasr.opt -quiet

REM Diagnostics
dsmc query backup \\netsrv30\c$\WINNT\repair\*.asr -asrmode=yes
-nodename=NETSRV30 -optfile=tsmasr.opt >tsmasrdiag.txt

REM dsmc query backup \\netsrv30\c$\WINNT\repair\*.asr -asrmode=yes
-nodename=NETSRV30 -optfile=tsmasr.opt >a:\tsmasrdiag.txt
@GOTO DONE

This server is being rebuilt due to a corrupt registry. I'm not sure if
that is part of the problem but I figure it would not be behaving in
this manner after the restore if that was the case.  Anyone ever
experience this type of  issue before?

Any suggestions, comments or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
m*a*s*h is online now