ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Upgrade client from 5.4.0.0 to 5.4.1.5 causes full backup

2008-02-17 20:50:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Upgrade client from 5.4.0.0 to 5.4.1.5 causes full backup
From: Lance Nakata <LNakata AT SLAC.STANFORD DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:50:02 -0800
On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 01:53:49PM +0100, Rainer Wolf wrote:
> we have the same problem and it is caused because you are using a
> zfs filesystem (i assume) and this appears in 5.4.0 as UNKNOWN and
> now you should see the filespace as ZFS .  this support comes with
> 5.4.1.x

Okay, makes sense then, though it's going to be painful to backup
all those TBs of data again.  I'll test the ACL tricks mentioned
earlier to see if that helps.

> A much more bigger problem for us here is that the
> backup-performance is strongly degraded for filepaces > 5mioFiles.

Hmm...that's not good news, though it might be alleviated in my case
by the fact I'm creating more virtualmountpoints to give us some
parallelization options.  Three of our clients are Sun X4500 Thumper
units.  A 16TB zpool takes too long to backup serially and way too
long to restore, so I'm breaking them up into smaller filespaces.  I
no longer have any 5.4.0.0 timings from backups with > 5M files, so
I won't be able to run the comparison against 5.4.1.5.  Sorry.

TSM hasn't supported Solaris x86 for very long, so maybe it needs a
little more debugging on the performance side.

Lance Nakata
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center