ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Weekend Fun! and ANR0259E

2008-02-18 09:38:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Weekend Fun! and ANR0259E
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:36:51 -0500
I believe dsmserv.dsk only has to point to one valid dbvol or logvol,
though typically it has all of them listed.  Each log/dbvol volume contains
a full list of all the volumes used by the server.  When the server starts
up, it looks in dsmserv.dsk to find a valid volume, then reads the entire
list of volumes from one of the log/dbvols and attempts to bring them all
online.

This is my understanding of how things work, based on some conversations I
had years ago after our database was corrupted and we had to recover it.

Thus, if your dsmserv.dsk did not have any legitimate log/dbvols in it,
your server would not be able to startup.  I cannot explain why deleting
this file remedied your situation.
..Paul