ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Why virtual volumes?

2007-08-22 16:52:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Why virtual volumes?
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:50:52 -0600
Well I would say, then, the reason for VV is to eliminate the need for
real volumes: using virtual volumes on a remote TSM server eliminates
the need to move real tape volumes to the remote server in the event of
a disaster.  Are they useful: that's a matter or opinion.

Somebody made the very real point that you must have at least two copies
of your data: one in the primary pool and one in a copy storage pool
someplace else.  Whether that's real or virtual is up to you.

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive