ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Why virtual volumes?

2007-08-23 07:58:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Why virtual volumes?
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:00:35 -0400
> Richard,
> You asked thought provoking questions, but didn't answer mine.

Hi, again . . .

I guess I don't quite understand the situation.

You have a remote site with a server you want to backup to your TSM server.
Then, you ask why you would need VV's back at the remote site.  What I
don't understand is why you feel you need any kind of VV/tape/whatever
at the remote site?  If your TSM server had DR capability (offsite copypool
and offsite db backup) then I don't see what you are trying to solve with
a VV  back at the remote site.

As to why VV?  I think it depends upon what the other options are.  We
used to use VV for db backups and offsite copies.  It works well, although
we had major problems with TSM not putting expired tapes back into
scratch status.  I really liked VV for TSM db backups.  All you needed
for restore was IP connectivity.  When we restored TSM servers to our
test system for upgrade testing this worked real well, instead of
having to play with the devconfig file RMT devices to do a restore.
Basically, I see VV as being usefull when you already have TSM
servers with libraries at separate sites, and you want to get offsite
copies of your data, and/or if you have multiple tsm servers with
libraries and you don't want to get into library sharing.
Ie:  It's there, use it.

I see VV as a TSM method of have remote and/or shared TAPE.
How to do remote tape:  VV, remote SAN (FCIP/iFCP), Truck. How
to do shared tape:  VV, san with library sharing. The question
to me is what problem are you trying to solve, then which technology.

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.