ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Antwort: Re: Lost in TSM licensing

2007-06-26 10:11:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Antwort: Re: Lost in TSM licensing
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:10:44 -0600
Is this still the latest schema about which cores/CPUs cost how many
licenses?

IBM's licensing policy is summarized below:
                                                            Number of
                                                            licenses
                                                  Cores     required
Hard-                                     n-Way   per       per
ware                                      refer-  "1-way"   "1-way"
vendor  Server family     Chip family     ence    server(1) server(1)
------  ----------------  --------------  ------  --------  ---------
IBM     pSeries           POWER4          Core        1        1
                          POWER5          Core        1        1

        OpenPower         OpenPower
                          710 and 720     Core        1       (2)

        BladeCenter JS21  PowerPC         Core        1       (2)

        iSeries           All             Core        1        1

        zSeries (Linux)   All             Core        1        1
------  ----------------  --------------  ------  --------  ---------
Sun     SunFire           UltraSparc III  Chip        1        1
                          UltraSparc IV   Chip        2        2
                          UltraSparc IV+  Chip        2        2

        SunFire T Series  UltraSparc T1   Chip        4        2
                          UltraSparc T1   Chip        6        2

                          UltraSparc T1   Chip        8        3
------  ----------------  --------------  ------  --------  ---------
HP      HP 9000           PA RISC 8700    Chip        1        1
                          PA RISC 8800    Chip        2        2
                          PA RISC 8900    Chip        2        2

        HP Integrity      Itanium 2       Chip        1        1
------  ----------------  --------------  ------  --------  ---------
Intel   Multiple          Single Core     Chip        1        1
or      server            Dual Core       Chip        2        1
AMD     families(3)
1
Number of cores included in the vendor definition of a 1-way server
2
OpenPower 710 and 720 servers, and the PowerPC 970 chip on BladeCenter
JS21 servers, require only one license for each dual-core chip.
3
Intel and AMD servers include, but are not limited to, the IBM
xSeries(r), Dell PowerEdge, HP ProLiant, and SunFire x64 servers.