ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Ramifications of turning client compression on?

2007-05-01 15:44:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Ramifications of turning client compression on?
From: BEYERS Kurt <Kurt.BEYERS AT VRT DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 21:19:47 +0200
Joni,

You should be taking some how an online backup of the Notes nsf files and the
Oracle databases.

The nsf files won't compress at all, so you won't gain any reduction in used
space on the disks/tapes where the backups end up.

And with an olnine backup of Oracle, either directly to TSM  or first to disk
and then a file system backup to TSM, will contain only the used blocks in the
Oracle data files. So no gain again with software compression on an Oracle
server.

Generally you will be using more resources on the client when the compression
is done over there. The achieved ratio can be found in the summary of the
backup session (for a file system backup).

best regards,
Kurt