ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Ramifications of turning client compression on?

2007-05-01 15:26:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Ramifications of turning client compression on?
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 13:10:05 -0600
The first question I would ask is why are you doing this?  If you hope
to reduce the amount of TIME it takes to do a backup, you won't.  If you
hope to reduce the amount of DISK SPACE in your disk pools, you will,
but at what cost.

In almost all cases (I don't say all because words like all or never
annoy me) compression is best done in hardware rather than software.  So
let your tape technology do the compression.

That said, in an all disk based TSM environment it may well make sense
to let clients do compression to reduce the amount of disk required.
Personally, I'm hoping for some clever SAN vendor to put compression
into their controllers so the hardware will do it for me.

Thanks,

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO
STORServer, Inc.