ADSM-L

Re: Litigation! Wish

2006-12-26 23:41:54
Subject: Re: Litigation! Wish
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 23:41:26 -0500
Well, what I meant was "move data" or "move nodedata"... but now that I
think about it, those commands will have no effect on retention.  They will
only move the data to different volumes, maybe in different storage pools.
A "generate backupset" would make a copy that has it's own retention
criteria, but IMO backupsets are too hard to manage effectively... but then
I haven't really used them that much.  Also, backupsets will only contain
active data, and so may be incomplete in a litigation context.

I think the bottom line here, unfortunately, is that we're trying to make
TSM fulfill a need it was not designed for.  TSM is great for backing up a
system and getting it back to a known operational state.  It's also great
for restoring a single file, set of files, directories, filesystems, etc.
It's not too useful for finding a "needle in a haystack", like "we need all
emails from John Doe to XYZ Corp regarding product X"... there are
archiving systems emerging that can do that kind of function.  It would be
nice if TSM could serve as the back end for such a system so you can
minimize the back-end data store.  I believe there are a couple that can do
that.  Of course, there's no free lunch... implementing an archive solution
like that will cost significant bucks.

-Robin

             Orin Rehorst
             <rehorst AT POHA DOT COM
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Litigation! Wish

             12/25/2006 11:40
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Thank you, Robin, for the confirmation of my suspicion. I understand
"special" (second) backups with different parameters. Can you give me an
example of "or data movements within the server?"

TIA
Orin Rehorst