ADSM-L

Re: Way to redirect a TSM Data Protection for Exchange restore to an alternate location?

2006-10-30 22:57:19
Subject: Re: Way to redirect a TSM Data Protection for Exchange restore to an alternate location?
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:55:57 -0800
The purpose of the Recovery Storage Group was to allow for this restore to
happen without overwritting the production data. It sounds like your afraid to
use the Recovery Storage group as it was meant to be used.

  I've done it many times for my customers. Make sure you read the MS doc on
how to create a recovery storage group.  Then as long as one exists when you
use the TDP for Exchange to recover the mailstore file it will go to the
recovery storage group.

  I believe the safty net is that if you don't configure the recovery storage
group correctly then you a pop up comes up stating that the Exchange database
that you are trying to recovery is online and it asks you if you want to have
it stopped. If you get that just click no. Also, as a result it is a good idea
to just make sure Exchange is running before you start the restore.

  Creating the recovery storage group and then adding a mailstore to it is
pretty simple. You can then use exmerge to move mail items from the recovery
storage group to the production storage group.

Orin Rehorst <rehorst AT POHA DOT COM> wrote:
  We are trying to recover a single mailbox. We don't want to write over
the data store and loose current data.

We would like to use Exchange 2003 Recovery Storage Group. But we're
afraid the restore will write over current data.

Our current plan is to set up a temporary Exchange server, restore the
TDP back there, and export the mailbox. Our tech support company
estimates 20 hours for that job.

Your comments would be appreciated.

PS. It looks like I need to go to a brick level backup solution, don't
you think?

Regards,
Orin Rehorst