ADSM-L

Re: Way to redirect a TSM Data Protection for Exchange restore to an alternate location?

2006-10-29 08:57:12
Subject: Re: Way to redirect a TSM Data Protection for Exchange restore to an alternate location?
From: Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 06:54:56 -0700
Orin,

No need to be afraid.  Follow the instructions for creating the Recover
Storage Group.  When you bring up the TDP restore screen it will tell
you that a recovery group exists and that all restores are going into
that (just above the list of exchange backups to restore).

The many arguments against a brick-level backup are well documented on
this list.  If you need to implement, read brickback.doc in the
tdpexchange directory.  But instead, consider extending the Item Deleted
Retention in Exchange and apply the Outlook patch for recovering deleted
items on a folder by folder basis - then let users find their own
deleted email messages like they should.  Put the responsibility where
it belongs.

Bill Smoldt
STORServer, Inc.