ADSM-L

Re: FW: Tape Drive Choices: What, and why?

2006-08-07 16:40:07
Subject: Re: FW: Tape Drive Choices: What, and why?
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 16:34:11 -0400
At 12:34 PM 8/4/2006, Prather, Wanda wrote:
1) When LTO drives fail, they don't get repaired.  The CE just comes in
and replaces them.  They are essentially "BIC" drives - plastic parts,
no refills.

My understanding was that the IBM drives were more robust, because
they used no plastic parts.  I've not seen that in writing
anywhere.  They are more expensive, but IMHO worth the extra $ over
the HP drives.

When reading/commenting on LTO drives, be aware of which vendor's
drives your talking about.  They aren't all equal.  The LTO spec says
that a tape written on one vendor's drive should be readable on
another vendor's drive, not that they are manufactured the same.

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521