ADSM-L

Re: Tape Drive Choices: What, and why?

2006-08-03 15:22:06
Subject: Re: Tape Drive Choices: What, and why?
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:21:20 -0600
I'll echo Paul's comments with one additional: SDLT is not helical scan,
AIT and SAIT are.  SDLT uses serial serpentine as well, but their basic
technology is different.  LTO3 wins the day from a market share
standpoint, though the newest SDLT have higher capacity at a lower cost
(when you're getting killed in the market, this is what you do...).

I would not even consider AIT or SAIT for TSM.  TSM does too much work
on tapes (compared to other products) for helical scan sanding!

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive