ADSM-L

Re: To DirMC, or not to DirMC

2006-07-21 19:11:37
Subject: Re: To DirMC, or not to DirMC
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:10:19 +0200
Orville Lantto wrote:
> I was looking over some recent TechNotes and ran into two
> contradictory items.
>
> TechNote 1154049 "TSM server storage--Handling of client directory
> objects" preaches the old religion of using a separate management
> class and disk pool for Windows and Novell directory objects to speed
> restore.
>
> TechNote 1240913 "DIRMC has little effect on restore performance"
> makes the case that DIRMC is obsolete and unnecessary.
>
> These two TechNotes are both dated within the last month.
>
> Anybody from IBM want to clear this up?
>
> Orville L. Lantto Glasshouse Technologies, Inc.

This was discussed at Oxford last year. I don't recall the outcome. I do
recall that because TSM allocates 256k chunks minimum for a transaction,
you do not really want to use this feature since TSM v5.3. Also, since
recent levels (5.3) the client is capable of creating directories with
some default permissions and then correct the permissions as the Dir
gets of tape, the usefulness of DirMC has been reduced.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams