ADSM-L

Re: Multiple storage pools?

2006-05-11 19:57:17
Subject: Re: Multiple storage pools?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 19:56:52 -0400
>> On Thu, 11 May 2006 15:59:23 -0500, Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT
>> EDU> said:

> For example, a disk and a tape primary pool and a tape copy pool.
> The file is created on the disk pool, and copied to the tapecopy
> pool.  Later, that file is migrated from the disk pool to the tape
> pool.

> When the tape pool is next copied to the tapecopy pool, does the
> file transfer again?  Or does TSM know there's already a copy of
> that file migrated from another primary pool?

It knows.

> I believe from my evaluation that the copying is happening twice,
> but I'm not sure.

You can prove it to yourself:

set up a new disk stgpool, and a new tape pool; use one disk vol.
incr a small filesystem there, and back up the disk pool.

q cont [diskvol name] copied=no (should be "no data")

Touch a file on the filespace, re-incr.

q cont [diskvol name] copied=no (your file should show up.)

migrate the data to your tape stg.

q cont [tapevol name] copied=no (the changed file, and only it, should show up.)

If you get a different response, let us know. ;)

- Allen S. Rout