ADSM-L

Re: Multiple storage pools?

2006-05-11 16:59:41
Subject: Re: Multiple storage pools?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:59:23 -0500
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 09:47:08PM +0200, Kurt Beyers wrote:
> The two copy pools behave completely independently.
>
> Each command "backup stgpool <primary> <copy>" will compare the files in both
> storage pools and copy the data that are in the <primary> pool and not yet in
> the <copy> pool.

I presume that same 1-to-1 primary/copy mapping is true for a file that
gets migrated between primary pools that both backup to the same copy
pool?

For example, a disk and a tape primary pool and a tape copy pool.  The
file is created on the disk pool, and copied to the tapecopy pool.
Later, that file is migrated from the disk pool to the tape pool.

When the tape pool is next copied to the tapecopy pool, does the file
transfer again?  Or does TSM know there's already a copy of that file
migrated from another primary pool?

I believe from my evaluation that the copying is happening twice, but
I'm not sure.  My assumption, in that case, is that the disk pool copy
is expired at that point, so even if the copying happens twice, the
actual post-reclaimation copy pool storage is singular.

I'm new and still getting used to the concepts, so a
confirmation/correction would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Dave