ADSM-L

Re: Determining which side of an optical platter a file is on?

2005-10-18 20:58:40
Subject: Re: Determining which side of an optical platter a file is on?
From: Justin Derrick <ADSM AT JUSTINDERRICK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:49:03 -0400
Hi Allen.  =)

The goal is to move this data (through a conversion process) onto new
hardware, and Content-Addressable-Storage (CAS) technology like
Centera or IBM's DR550.  Given the size of the data, this migration
will take months, and the systems simply can't be offline, nor is an
investment in new hardware warranted.

I'm still no closer to finding a good answer to my question about how
to determine which side of a platter I can find specific data.  Is
there anyone out there who can shed some light on the subject?

-JD.