ADSM-L

Re: Determining which side of an optical platter a file is on?

2005-10-15 07:27:59
Subject: Re: Determining which side of an optical platter a file is on?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 07:16:12 -0400
Yes, TSM keeps track of where files are on media, but that info is
not exposed to customers. In any case, you should not consider
attempting physical retrieval of TSM-stored data without TSM due to
factors such as any specialized methods by which TSM may have stored
the data (which are proprietary and publicly undefined, including
Aggregation) and complications such as files spanning volumes.

The most straightforward course of action is to proceed as you have
been: get a list of files by volume and then perform Retrieve in that
order.  Remember that the important thing here is the veracity of the
retrieved data, with speed being secondary.  More quickly obtaining
data which is questionable is not a worthy goal.

   Richard Sims