ADSM-L

Re: Is client upgrading necessary at this time?

2005-09-30 16:46:00
Subject: Re: Is client upgrading necessary at this time?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:46:29 +0100
At a minimum, your main concern should be that your TSM client software
level is supported with your TSM server level. In order to ease migration
to new levels, client and software are supported one release up or down.
By "release", I refer to the first two parts of the version number, e.g.,
5.3 (Version 5, Release 3).

Thus the 5.2 client is supported with a 5.1 and 5.3 server, and a 5.2
server can support a 5.1 or 5.3 client. Other examples: 4.2 server
supported 4.1 and 5.1 clients; 4.2 client was supported with 4.1 and 5.1
server.

The idea is that when you move from a 5.2 to 5.3 server (for example),
your 5.2 clients will still work with the new 5.3 server until you can get
the clients upgraded. Or if you use the 5.2 server and choose to upgrade
your clients first, you can upgrade the clients to 5.3 and they will still
be supported with a 5.2 server until you can get the server upgraded.
While it is likely that a 4.2 (for example) client will function at least
minimally with a 5.2 server, technically it is not supported, so you use
at your own risk. But lots of people continue to use very backleveled
clients, usually because those clients are no longer supported by IBM, but
the user still has them in their environment.

Caveat: 4.1 and 4.2 are no longer in service. Service for 5.1 ends today
(end of September), except for S/390, which I think is in service through
the first week of April, 2006.

Your service agreement for TSM client and server is based on your TSM
server version. The clients are considered a part of the server version
that corresponds to the server that you are running. So if you are
licensed for the TSM 5.1 server on AIX, then when that server goes
end-of-service, so do your clients. If you are licensed for the 5.1 AIX
server, but you are using 5.2 clients on some machines, you will no longer
be able to get technical support from IBM for those clients once your
server version (at 5.1) goes end of service.

With regard to the "one level back" support, you will no longer be able to
get support for the back-leveled component once that component goes
end-of-service, even if your server version is still in service. Thus if
you are licensed for the TSM 5.2 server for Windows, you will not be able
to receive support for your 5.1 clients.

I realize that a lot of this seems pretty complicated, but conceptually
it's fairly simple. The upshot is that IBM supports a one-release
difference between client and server as long as your server and client
versions have not yet reached end-of-service. And *your* support from IBM
is based on the version of the TSM *server* you are running.

Note that there are some exceptions to the above rules. For example, the
TSM 5.2 server shipped support for Windows NT 4.0 clients at the 5.1
client level. Since this client was shipped with the 5.2 server, IBM will
continue to support this client (but not other 5.1 clients) until TSM 5.2
goes out of service. Only 5.2 server licensees will receive support.
Support for NT 4.0 clients will end when 5.2 goes out of service, though
that date has not yet been announced as far as I know.

So having said all of that, you are still encouraged, in general, to get
your client and server versions as up to date as possible, with the client
at the same release as the server. For example, the 5.2 client with 5.3
server is supported primarily for migration purposes; you should be moving
forward with a plan to migrate your clients to the same server version. In
general, I'd advise upgrading your server first, then your clients. Beyond
that, your need to upgrade should be based on the impact of defects that
are fixed in later client fix packs (5.2.2, 5.2.3, etc.) and interim fixes
(5.2.2.1, 5.2.2.4, etc.).

In your case, since your NetWare clients are at 5.2 and your server is at
5.3, I'd recommend getting the most current 5.3 NetWare client. But you do
not need to try to match your client version to the server based on the
third and fourth parts of the version. That is, matching the "5.3" part is
sufficient. You don't need to worry about matching beyond that.

As for client and server requirements, see the URL in my sig, and from
that page (which I recommend bookmarking), and look for the "server
requirements" and "client requirements" links.

I hope this makes some sense... for the most part, it's really not as
complicated as the write-up would make you think. I just provided a bunch
of detail that is applicable for any TSM releases, so next time someone
asks, I can point them to this in the archives. :-)

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-09-30
19:31:43: