ADSM-L

95% missed backups last night ( found the problem but what is the easy fix)

2005-09-22 13:02:34
Subject: 95% missed backups last night ( found the problem but what is the easy fix)
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:01:08 -0700
Ok here's an update on my own post. While waiting for a callback from

support I seem to have discovered what the problem is. It seems that the

passwords have not kept in synch between client and server. Yes

passwordaccess generate is set on all the nodes so I don't understand the

problem.

I logged on to one of my clients and opened the baclient. It asked for the

password when it should not have. I changed the password on the server to a

known value and entered that in the client window and it connected. I was

then able to restart the scheduler service and the client connected properly

instead of showing the odd characters on the TSM server.

The problem now is we have 250 nodes that need fixing and the only way I

know to fix them is to do what I did. I have no clue what the passwords are

of these nodes and neither does anyone else. So after I change all of them I

have to then tell the administrators so they can do what I did.

Boy is there going to be a bunch of pissed people, including me, if I can't

do something on the server to fix this.

The next question is how long is it going to be till this happens again?

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com