ADSM-L

Re: Exchange backups

2005-09-22 09:09:16
Subject: Re: Exchange backups
From: Petur Eythorsson <petur.e AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:07:05 +0000

is there any power diffrence between the clinets, compression takes cpu time from the client, and if you had fairly powerful cpu machines with slow network, then ofcouse youre backuptime would be reduced, but if on the other hand if you had a old cpu´s and a network that where flying, comression on the client would slow the backup process.

"It´s better to aim at perfection and miss than it is to aim at imperfection and hit it"
Founder Thomas J. Watson

Kær kveðja / Best regards,
Pétur Eyþórsson  · Tæknilegur ráðgjafi eServer & Storage · Tivoli Advanced Storage Solutons Techical Expert
 · MCSE · SNIA Professional  ·  SNIA FC-SAN Practitioner  ·  IBM C AIX S · TSM CP · TSRM CP · TASS DP · IBM SAN P
Sími/tel: +354 569-7700 · GSM: +354 863-0560
www.nyherji.is

"LeBlanc, Patricia" <Patricia.Leblanc AT LIBERTYMUTUAL DOT COM>

22.09.2005 11:57
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc
Subject
[ADSM-L] Exchange backups

 I recently turned on compression for my exchange backups.  All backup
times improved, with the exception of two servers who are now taking 2
hours longer to backup.

Clients are w2k3.  TSM Server is AIX.

Anyone using compression on exchange?