ADSM-L

Slow backups after TSM Server upgrade

2005-09-13 12:06:35
Subject: Slow backups after TSM Server upgrade
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:37:48 -0700
Yesterday I upgraded my TSM server to 5.2.6.1 from 5.1.6.3. While the system
was running on AIX 4.3.3 and TSM 5.1.6.3 backups were fairly quick and
typically if I saw a backup running in the morning when I came in it pointed
to a NIC/SWITCH mismatch. After upgrading AIX to 5.2, TSM still 5.1.6.3, the
system seemed the same, and by the way I should mention the system was
running 64 bit mode but was NOT running 64 bit TSM code.

When I upgraded TSM yesterday I changed to the 64 bit code thinking things
should be "at least as fast". As I watched backups last night things seemed
quite slow. The database backups seem to have quadrupled in the time it
takes to complete one. This morning I also see 7 backups still running.

So the question is have others seen a drop in performance after upgrading to
5.2 TSM?

Thanks for any insight you can provide,

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com